Straight From the Pits of Dwell

Let the words of Christ dwell in you richly...Colossians 3:16

Monday, November 23, 2009

Turning over a new um, pine tree

No doubt the year of 2009 has brought about many changes for our family. And just for poops and giggles, we're going to add a few more. Just to fill you in, I have spent the last 32 Christmas holidays (Christmas Eve and morning) at my Grandparent's house in Kansas. I have soooo many precious memories of those times. If you are a close friend of mine, you have surely heard a few. Over the course of those 32 years, there were many traditions started - a few intentional, most by accident. One example of a tradition that has started with my own kids is that on Christmas Eve at Grandiddy's house, "Santa Claus" i.e. Mike VanCampen (neighbor of Grandiddy's and long-time family friend) comes for a nice little visit. This is no ordinary merry and bright Santa visit, let me just tell you. This particular Santa has a bit of a fire under his shiny black belt. He usually comes bearing gifts of flatulence, crude humor and a few jabs at whoever is the closest target. He never fails to make everyone in the room laugh until they cry, and usually succeeds at making my cheeks turn a certain pinkish color. The children just stare in awe...completely CONFUSED but loving it.

So since we're going to be spending our very first ever Christmas at HOME in Texas this year, I've been trying to think up some new traditions for our family. I hadn't even considered having Santa come to our house on Christmas Eve like the kids have become accustomed to (ok, they totally expect it) until Mason asked me this morning, "Momma, where is Santa Claus gonna sit?" Crap. Really? You're telling me I have to find someone who is willing to come dressed in a big red Santa suit on Christmas Eve? You've GOT to be kidding me. And it can't be just anyone. The only people I know who would do something like that for me are Jeff's amazing guy friends (hint hint) but my kids would totally catch on to that, so I'm thinking it needs to be someone they don't know - at least not well.

All that to say, it is November 23rd and I have less than a month to find someone who can pull this off. It's either that, or come up with a really good excuse why Santa ditched us this year. Yeah...I'm not seeing that one happen. Any volunteers????

And by the way, if you would like to share your favorite Christmas traditions (please, please, please, please, please), just leave a comment. I would love to hear them! Just don't be surprised if we steal it for the 1st annual Weyers Family Christmas Extravaganza. To be continued....

1 comment:

McGregor Family said...

Enjoyed reading your post Jodi..... We have several traditions..... We make Santa's cookies on Christmas eve (Kyle and I have been doing this since we have been married (Try 14 yrs) We cook Prime Rib on Christmas Eve, go to church at 9 to celebrate Christ' Birth... Read The Night Before Christmas to girls....I then stay up and watch Christmas movies while wrapping presents.They are small traditions but very cherished by our family.