Straight From the Pits of Dwell

Let the words of Christ dwell in you richly...Colossians 3:16

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Tribute to my favorite dog in the world


Gosh. Sitting down to hash this out again just about kills me. It's been almost 2 weeks ago now that the end to an era arrived. The Rocky Era. It was 13 great, hilarious, frustrating, entertaining, and love-filled years with that silly dog. We woke up on that last Sunday morning to a very sick, tired dog. I was so not expececting it. He had just been barking at our cows the night before. When I held that little guy in my arms and realized the decision that was ahead of me, I could have just melted into the soil of this earth. It happened so fast. There was no time to just sit and hold him for hours like I wanted. Of course I look back on the days leading up to this and wish so much I would have just STOPPED the busy course of my life and just held him for even a few minutes without interruption. I'm sure I was too busy doing laundry, picking up after someone, doing paperwork or some other "meaningful" task. Dang it. I don't want to live my life that way.

Anyway, I am so thankful for the chance to have had Rocky Dog in our family. Isn't it funny how God can use a little dog of all things to bring a family together? Rocky was definitely a tool used by God. We know that and we were so blessed to have him for 13 years.

So to you, the BEST little dog I've ever known: Thank you for making us laugh, being such a good sport with the kids and just brightening our days. I know the squirrels miss you chasing them, buddy. You were so good at that game. I miss your bark. I miss the sound of your collar clanking back and forth when you walk through the house. You always had such a little kick in your step. Happy Dog. You will ALWAYS be loved and NEVER be forgotten. I love you Rocky Top. See ya soon.

4 comments:

elle's mom said...

oh my. i'm going to go home and give jackers and big brown bear hug.

Minnie said...

OK.. that made me tear up, especially when the music began to play! It is tough loosing a pet that you have had for such a long time.. we are getting close with the two weims and it will be a sad day when either one of them goes for sure!

Love ya!

The Johnsons said...

Wow i love this story! We just got a dog in April and she has stolen our hearts! I always thought people were crazy for loving a dog until i got ours and then i knew what everyone was talking about!
Love and Blessings,
Doylina

Matt and Deachi said...

Not kidding I just started crying reading this. Love that little Rocky!!