Straight From the Pits of Dwell

Let the words of Christ dwell in you richly...Colossians 3:16

Wednesday, February 11, 2009



**THIS IS YOUR WARNING - - Read at your own risk! I'm feeling a bit sappy tonight. (The first 10 or so songs on my playlist should tell you that).

Lately I've had a few people ask me if I'm still alive because I've had a severe halt in my blog activity. Yes, I'm still here! I haven't blogged in awhile because of obvious reason #1 - I still have not purchased a camera. Simple. I love to blog about pictures. It just makes everything real.

And the harder to admit Reason #2 - I haven't blogged lately because quite frankly I don't think I could have and stayed positive. And heaven knows I don't want to be the downer in your day! Those of you who have young children or have had at some point in your life might be able to relate. Let me just cut to the chase. I am a mom to two fabulous, beautiful children who are close to sending me to the funny farm! No, really...I'm ok...seriously. It's just that when you have days when your 13 year old dog "runny poops" all over one of two carpeted rooms in your house, your son tips over an entire humidifier with dirty water on the second carpeted room in your house (as you're cleaning up mess #1), your favorite brown shag area rug is at the carpet cleaners already this week because you and your kids tracked in dog poop from outside, and once again a half roll of toilet paper clogs up the toilet...you start wondering, "Am I really making a difference here?" That's really what this is all about, after all. I want to make a difference. I want to raise kids who love the Lord, who love others, know how to treat people with respect, know that we don't run in the house or call each other "poopy face" or "poopy clock" (Mason's newest coined phrase)...you know, the normal things in life. I just realized today that I have been a stay-at-home mom for almost 5 years. I can't hardly believe it. I have ALWAYS known I wanted to be a mom. ALWAYS. That was my life's passion. So now that I'm here, I want to enjoy it. That sounds so cliche, but it's a lot harder than you might think. Sure, there are days when I enjoy my children, but more days show up where I feel like all I'm doing is correcting them, discipling, putting tabasco in their mouths for talking back (thanks Mom & Anna!) or just plain losing it! I am going to freak out when Reese is in school all day every day next year, so why is it that when she asks me to play Candy Land or doll house with her that I want to run far, far away? I should WANT to do that stuff, right? What is wrong with me? So my prayer this week is to S-L-O-W down and enjoy my sweet, precious babies. I love them more than life and they deserve that. So if you're a mom reading this, be encouraged as I have been this week by so many. These years go by way too fast and we really do need to enjoy every single minute. After all, they are only gifts that can be taken away at any time. Let's not have any regrets. No regrets. Now, go give your kid a hug. GO!

Nehemiah 8:10 ...For the Joy of the Lord is your strength

6 comments:

Matt and Deachi said...

Amen! You are not alone. I was just complaining to Matt last night when Calyn called me in to read her 6th (yes 6th book!) before bed. He always reminds me that it won't be long and she won't want me to read to her in bed..... then I have this guilt. What's 5 more minutes? Why am I so quick to want to have my glass of wine and relax? Am I really that selfish? I think we all have our moments. I know you are a great mom. My opinion, we spend 25+ years of our lives focusing 100% on ourselves and suddenly there are these little people that are also depending 100% on you. All of a sudden the time for yourself is cut down to .5% me time 99.5% their time..It's worth it but hard at the same time. I understand! OK that was the longest comment in the history of comments... sorry! :)

Trisha said...

I'm right there with you... last week was a rough one for me. I always find myself trying to hide to get a minute or two to myself. Naptime can't last long enough... .

Hayes wanted me to play baseball the other day. I really just wanted to read a magazine. But I went ahead and played with him and had so much fun. I am trying more to just jump in and play instead of making excuses.

Hang in there! Go buy yourself a camera.... I bet that will make ya feel better! :)

dawn said...

no blog inspiration? honey...you have it.

and i'm with trisha. go buy a camera. i'm sure you can guilt jeff into it somehow, right? i mean...it's like a work expense. you don't get work clothes, he does. so your camera is your work.

let me know if you need help with an argument on a camera purchase. i'm sure i can whip one up. :)
xo
d

Hollie said...

Amen, sista!!! Those bad weeks just catch you off guard and they seem to come around more often than not. I, too, am struggling with the guilt of not spending enough quality time with Maggie, especially before the next one gets here. Your blog was a good reminder for me that it is over way too soon. Just the other night I realized that Maggie and I don't cuddle as much anymore and it really hurt my feelings! I have to ask her if I can hold her now! Where does the time go? And, btw, we just had a poop-tastrophe. M already covered in chocolate, yogurt, sand, huge snotty boogers and slobber didn't make it to the potty in time and had the 'ria all over herself and the bathroom. Why am I starting all this over again?!?!?! Because life wouldn't be the same without them! Love ya, Hol

Straight from the pits of Dwell said...

Oh my goodness, all your comments made me laugh so hard! Thanks for sharing. And it's good to know I'm not alone. ;-)

Here is the email Jeff's mom sent me after she read the blog...

Jodi.......it will get worse before it gets better......after all....you haven't even gotten to those teen years!!!! Then there are other things to worry about. Need I say more.....:-)

I remember those days of feeling like they'll never end and why can't you just play with each other and isn't this game over with yet - chasing dogs and kids - screaming and then telling them how much I loved them - the list goes on and on and then it's a new day!!! I used liquid soap for their mouths......you only need a touch of it on your finger to make it to their lips.......Jeff knows.....as does U. Craig!!! They made it very difficult to use the bar soap so I switched!!! Why don't you get a babysitter and go out for a couple of hours in the afternoon. That helps.........at least until you have to return home......I'm sorry, Jod, I'm not laughing at you but rather I'm laughing at my memories. See - it is possible to laugh about these things - it took years (just kidding) but you will be able to do that.

Love you!

PS I'm going through a little withdrawl because there haven't been any new pics......get a babysitter and just go buy a camera.....Jeff bought more cows....LOL

Milk Maker said...

Hi Jodi- this is Amanda (Locke) Barefoot. I found your blog through Trisha's. You have a beautiful family! Thanks for the inspiration....I'm getting off the computer now and spending time with my own little monster!