Straight From the Pits of Dwell

Let the words of Christ dwell in you richly...Colossians 3:16

Monday, December 22, 2008

Good luck/bad luck

I'm really not a person who believes in good luck or bad luck. I know when things are going well, those are pure blessings from God. When things are going not so well...well, I'm not sure what that is. I have to tell you a story about the latter.

It was last Friday morning, less than a week away from Christmas when I was running late getting Reese to school. I'm usually not super early to events, but I'm certainly not late either. I'm really a "right on time" kind of girl. Anyway, I needed to be there early this particular day as I had set up parent volunteers from Reese's school to help set up tables and decorate for the school-wide Christmas lunch that day. My plan was to drop Reese off at about 8:45, get her situated, then go back to help get everyone set up - Mason in tow. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure we finally left the house at 8:59 and the school is about a 10 minute drive. Since we were late and I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, I poured some cereal(Lucky Charms to be exact) and milk into my trusty pink hypercolored (yeah baby) Eskimo Joes cup, along with a cup of coffee and we tore out the door. Getting into the car was a chore itself, as I had to load a box full of garland (for the table decorations, of course!), a pasta salad I had made the day before, snacks for Mason, my cereal, coffee, coats for the kids, purse, etc. And believe it or not, I felt like I had done all the pre-planning the night before! WRONG! So we pull up to the church, I reach down to the passenger's side floorboard where my camera was (I had to take pics of Reese at her Christmas program like a good Mommy) and since I was in a hurry and already feeling a bit flustered, instead of gently grabbing my camera with grace and dexterity, I sort of flung it up, lost control of it, threw it in the air, and guess where it landed? Uh-huh...right smack in the middle of my Eskimo Joes cup full of milk! I'm not kidding. I know what you're thinking...I am a complete irresponsible excuse for a person, right? Yep. I'm thinking the same thing actually. Because not only have I drenched my several hundred dollar camera into a cup of milk, I had also done something similar with one of my cell phones a few months ago. I'm not going to get into that story right now. SO...long story short, I am 4 days from Christmas and cameraless. Don't you want to cry for me? I want to cry for myself, but I'm too mad to do that. It took me 3 days to tell Jeff...I dropped the bomb on him this morning. I figured I couldn't hide the fact much longer that I hadn't been shoving the camera in the kid's faces all weekend long like usual. So good luck, or bad luck...that is the question. Maybe it's just God's way of letting me know I'm human like everyone else. Like Jeff said, "Don't be so hard on yourself, Jodi...we all throw cameras in a cup of milk at some time in our lives". Thank you my sweet husband. You rock.

5 comments:

Matt and Deachi said...

That sucks! I don't know what I would do with myself if my Camera was gone. I think they might have to lock me in a padded cell. :) OK maybe that is a little extreme. Perhaps Santa will read your blog and bring you a new one for Christmas. Preferably already charged and ready to go.

bellsmom said...

Jod, I'm so sorry about your camera-I know how much you love your camera. If it makes you feel any better I "lost" mine over Thanksgiving weekend and do not have a replacement for Christmas! Oh and about the cell phone, I just replaced 2, that's right 2. One I left at the mall and one that Nick tossed to me and it landed in my huge cup of java! So...good luck, bad luck I dunno! Busy mom syndrome that constributes to us losing our minds and doing crazy stuff, probably! Love ya!

Traca said...

That Jeff is a keeper!
Remember that my camera got thrown in the trash by my sweet little boy and now we fear that the ipod has suffered the same fate! Can't find it anywhere...

Marla said...

That does suck!! So sorry. I hate those type of days. Makes you just wanna go back to bed and pull the covers over your head!
Ken and I had our camera stolen on a cruise once and lost all our pics and couldn't take any more the rest of the trip. Not having it for Christmas would be worse. Hopefully whereever you spend Christmas they will have one... or perhaps a new one will appear!
Merry Christmas!

haywardfam said...

I love your blog...it brightens my day! (and makes me laugh) We miss you guys!